I realize it has been half of forever since I’ve written. Since I’m sitting in another training that we’re doing, and my big part is tomorrow, I’ll give you some glimpses of the things that are bubbling to the surface of my brain.
- I’ve had my knee brace for almost 3 weeks. What a difference a brace makes! I’ve been riding my bike, going up and down the stairs, and generally being myself without much knee pain again. It’s a very good thing. It fits under most of my pants, and most of my skirts are longish so most people usually aren’t aware that I’m wearing it. To quote Carrie Bradshaw, “Me likey!”
- In spite of my brace, I’ve found myself on the ground twice in the last two weeks. The first time was completely understandable—pitch black evening, uneven and unfamiliar parking lot. Yesterday, not so much . . . broad daylight, fairly familiar and even parking lot . . . and suddenly the blacktop was approaching my face. I somehow managed to get my hands out in front of me, knicked up the palms of my hands, bloodied my elbow which in turn bloodied my shirt and my pants, and bruised my knees. I also had blacktop marks on my pants from my waist to my ankles. I’m not sure how it all happened, but I hope it doesn’t happen again.
- Intestinal issues seem to be under control as long as I take my medicine. I tried to wean myself off it a month ago. That was a bad decision.
- I’m in a season of hellos followed quickly by good-byes. Last week it was “little” kids for a week of debriefing. This week it’s the new appointees for the organization. Next week, I get to see so many of my friends who I haven’t seen since last June. My best friend who lives in North Africa will be there for the first week, too. But that means a good-bye in a week, and then good-byes to everyone else six days later. Then I’ve got at least 4 more weeks of hellos followed by good-byes within the week. Good-byes inhale violently and make me emotionally weary.
- Diet Coke with Lime is the best.
- If there’s a gene for organization and neatness, I’m lacking it. I wish I had it.
- I’m not mentally ready to pack my bags for Saturday’s 6 AM flight.
- And I think that’s all the bubbles that are rising to the top at the moment.
photo courtesy of Glenn Loos-Austin