I have a lot of friends on facebook. I mean a lot. Like over 1,000. I’ve met and know all but about 5 of them. Of those 5, I feel like I don’t really have much of a clue about 2 of them. I think it’s fair to say the majority of my facebook friends are TCKs.
I try to read through as many status updates and other postings on my home page as I can each day. Some days it’s pretty mundane fare. Other days there are definite “Only in TCK World” posts. I thought you might like a little glimpse into that world.
1. “From Equator to Prime Meridian” . . . a 20 something TCK chaperoning a high school trip to London
2. “What’s happening to the dollar?! It’s jumped to 1.59 leva!” . . . from a high school junior in Bulgaria
3. “Jutro mam na ósmą do szkoły” . . . from a high schooler in Poland. (You’ll have to use google translation tools just like I do.)
4. ” The next Middlle eastern male that cuts in front of me in line will seriously be getting strangled by his precious gutera head gear.” . . . a 20 something female TCK working in the Middle East.
5. “Shawarma for lunch” (with picture of said schwarma) followed by a comment of “Was it the real deal?!” . . . 20 somethings in the Midwest excited about finding Lebanese food.
6. “Happy Belated Birthday from Brunei!” this one kind of explains itself.
7. “You know what happens when you lick a pole in the middle of winter? don’t ask how,but i’ve discovered the same effect is possible in Africa… ouch” . . . high school senior in Africa (Yeah, you figured that out, didn’t you?)
8. “Too fast” followed by “Jogya Singapore The Island” . . . an 18 year old TCK in Asia
9. ” . . . was attacked by safari ants while rewiring some security floodlights in the dark. Ants in my pants…at least I didn’t get eletrocuted.” . . . a 30 something TCK in Africa
and my favorite . . .
10. “Do you have parent’s address?” . . . from a 20 something studying in Europe to her 20 something brother studying in the US about their parents living in another European country neither sibling has ever lived in.
Only in TCK World.
photo courtesy of mightykenny